Thursday, March 19, 2020

Parents- Visual Schedules

Parents,
It looks like students will be home at least until mid April and possibly longer. I know my own two children were struggling with the idea of being home and having so much time on their hands. The district is pulling together resources and I hope to know what the exact plan is in the weeks to come.
However, for all children is a good idea for them to understand their day and how time will pass.  This reduces anxiety and helps children to feel a sense of accomplishment. This could be as simple as writing a list on a sticky note or laying things out a calendar.  However for some of my beginning readers and non-verbal students visual schedules are really helpful. My favorite and easiest to use is Choice works.  Choiceworks is a app that is less than $5.00. 

Choiceworks is an easy way to make a schedule on an ipad or a phone. It has reward options build in and the ability to take a picture of the task as well as built in visual for common tasks. It also has timers to set so children can understand how long a task should take. 



If your student doesn't have access to a device here is another option to print out a visual schedule. 



If you need more visual supports, please let me know and I can provide them for you just email me at lisa.tisher@adams12.org




No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer activities

  Summer is here!   Parents: Learning doesn’t end in the summer. Having adventures and experiencing new things builds background knowledge, ...